Friday, March 19, 2010

Christ in You the Hope of Glory

Have you ever had a divine appointment? Perhaps the experience consists of an ordinary appointment with another person, sometimes planned, sometimes random. However, at the conclusion of the appointment you clearly realize that it wasn't the other person with whom you conversed, but God Himself revealed through another.

In many places the New Testament describes a profound mystery. The language varies from one passage to another, yet the reality, when taken seriously, remains quite astounding. In writing to the Colossian Christians, Paul referred to this mystery as "Christ in you, the hope of Glory." To think of Jesus, the Son of God, taking up residence within average human beings is certainly a truth which remains difficult to wrap one's mind around, especially when full consideration is given. Yet this mysterious reality permits us to experience such divine appointments as mentioned above.

Today, I had one such appointment (I will describe it in a moment, but allow me to give a bit of background). Over the past week, in casual conversation with other pastors in Oxford, I mentioned my research focus of this sabbatical including the writings of Bernard of Clairvaux. More than once I was posed with the question, "Have you spoken with Sister Benedicta?" Upon hearing her name mentioned the third time, I decided I must meet this Sister Benedicta. After tracking down her information, I set up an appointment for this afternoon.

Following a brief walk, I came to the residence of this Sister. An elderly woman answered the door, quietly and meekly. We entered the study; surrounded by books of ancient Christian writings we proceeded to talk. She enquired about my research, then listen carefully. I had a couple of specific questions which I posed to her regarding Bernard. She responded with brilliant insight and knowledge, not in any flashy way, but quite humbly. In fact, her way of enquiry was not, "What else would you like to know from me?" Rather, on a couple of occasions with carefully selected words she asked, "What else can we tell each other about Bernard?" This seasoned scholar with fourteen published books to her credentials was open to hearing what a relatively young whippersnapper as myself might have to say, which certainly paled in comparison to her understanding.

Interestingly, it was not her scholarly insight that was impressive, although it was quite helpful toward my project. Rather, it was the clear sense of the presence of Christ in her which made her a gem of a person to meet. Upon the conclusion of our meeting, I left with the sense of having been in the presence of God, not of Sister Benedicta, not of her vast knowledge, not of a well published author, but the presence of Christ coming through this meek, humble servant.

Christ in us, a profound mystery, yet for willing participants, a beautiful reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment